Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Feliz Navidad de Lejos

Sugar cookies we made last night in the hostel kitchen
Merry Christmas from Panama!  I'd be lying if I said I was full of Christmas cheer.  Things just aren't the same when you're far from family and friends.  That and the weather here just doesn't remind me of a winter wonderland.  Regardless, I've been able to take a little break in the city and enjoy some air conditioning, electricity, and good food with fellow volunteers.  Living and working in my community is not exactly stressful that I need a vacation, but it's nice to get out, speak some English, and at least have some type of Christmas celebration.

In general things have been moving slowly due partly to the holiday season, where the mood is very relaxed throughout the country.  One of my side projects outside of actual work has been educating people about the United States, particularly the diversity of its population.  In other words I'm trying to convince them that not everyone from the States looks exactly like me.  I've also been trying to discourage the use of the nickname, "gringo."  I finally got the little five year old girl in my host family to stop using the word and to call me by name.  Whenever she said "gringo" I would call her "niña" instead of using her name.  Interestingly enough she decided she didn't like that, and I explained how I preferred to be called by my name just like her.  Word soon spread that I wanted people to use my name instead of the equivalent of "white guy."  I had to smile when one day when someone called out to me, "What's up Gringo!"  Immediately the old woman next to him corrected him, "His name is not Gringo, it's Benjamín Gringo!"


Carrying penca leaves for the roof of my house
My Christmas present this year was finally getting my house finished!  There are just a few minor things left to do, such as building furniture and moving my things in.  Now it has a completed roof, meaning it is officially a house.  The whole process has been very long and often frustrating.  Amber, one of the other volunteers in my region, decided to come for a visit and try to convince people in my community to help me finish the house.  Since I have no previous experience building roofs out of leaves, I was sort of dependent on them.  After a conversation with Fulgencio, one of my neighbors, he took us out into the jungle to look for penca leaves for the roof.  Carrying big bundles of these huge leaves on our backs for about an hour through mud, streams, and thick brush was hard work (thanks again Amber!).  But seeing those last few leaves finish off the peak made it well worth it.
Pictures of my new bachelor pad
The completed house, soon to be home

Experiencing my first Christmas away from everything familiar has been kind of tough.  But I'm very grateful that I can communicate with family and friends, being reminded that they're here for me even if I can't spend time with them.  I suppose it's times like this, when you're away, that you truly appreciate all those people you have in your life.  Hope you had a very merry Christmas everybody, for those of you in cold places - enjoy not sweating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment