Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Building People

About a month ago I had to make a difficult decision. I had been working on preparing a community project to expand the water system in Nuevo Vigía. That consisted of designing pipeline networks, writing reports, filling out mountains of grant paperwork, making materials lists and budgets, on top of coordinating everything with community members. Since my time here is limited, there was a January deadline for submitting grant requests for project funding. While I was struggling to get everything done in time, I realized how much I was trying to rush things. In the process I was sort of leaving behind the water committee, the people who should be taking charge of the project. I’ve worked so hard to develop this group of ten people, helping them organize, raise funds, budget, set rules, and operate and maintain the system. That’s why it was so tough to accept that they just still weren’t ready for a project of this size, even if I was. The engineer in me was fighting the development worker with grand ideas of heading a big construction project. But in the end I knew that my desire to have something tangible to show for my time here was disrupting the timing for the community. They just need more time and experience taking care of things on their own. As if to accentuate that point, our pump stopped working, and we haven’t had running water for over a month now. We’re still working on that…


Mornings at the river in Nuevo Vigia

So I decided to postpone the project, accepting that I won’t be the one to finish it. There will be another volunteer coming to replace me after I leave. And while it’s hard to leave the work I’ve done to somebody I won’t even meet, I know it’s for the best. That volunteer will be able to build off the groundwork already in place.


I still feel great about of how far the water committee has come. I act like they’re my students. A couple weeks ago I decided to show off one of my students, a water operator that I trained in all the operation and maintenance of the pump and water treatment plant. Danielle, another volunteer in a community with the same water system that was just getting started, asked for help with a seminar to train her water committee. I brought Rubén (who I call Super Técnico) to this neighboring community to help with the seminar. I was proud to see this guy, who a year ago didn’t even know how to turn the pump on, teaching people in another community how to run the entire system. Super Técnico did a great job explaining all the technical processes of the water treatment and troubleshooting advice. The fact that he did a lot of it in Emberá was very helpful.

My student, Super Tecnico, teaching members of the water committee in a neighboring community

The whole time I’ve been here I’ve wanted to build something. Before I arrived in this community I assumed that’s what I would be doing. But I’ve learned so much about what people really need here, and I realize my job isn’t just working with a hammer and nail, but with people. Being the first volunteer in a community can be frustrating because people aren’t used to working with an organization like Peace Corps. Being here first, my job is to gain trust, develop a relationship, and give people the confidence they need to advance themselves. That doesn’t happen overnight. Funny how before I thought two years was such a long time, and now it seems too short. My time here is running out, which is scary. As strange as it is, this place is home. It’s very uncomfortable thinking about leaving. For now I still have plenty of work to do, and I don’t think I’ll ever be bored. For these next five months I want to enjoy this time with my gente.

No comments:

Post a Comment